self-archive part seventeen

Dim sum: Today I woke up and ate breakfast. While I was trying to eat breakfast I was simulatneously made nauseous by the look of the leftovers from last night's free dinner. That woman who kept complaining about eating too much of it, then ended up being the new person in my room. She ate too much of the leftovers for breakfast. I cried a tear.
Today, at the Exploratorium I planned to observe the Physics of Toys demonstrations and continue to isolate exhibits that I think could be sold as art, as is. It was a peaceful day compared to some of the others I have had. I met with two people who work there and interviewed them on what they thought about the work environment, and then watched parents interact with their children. I saw parents outchildrening their children. I cried a tear.
The Palace of Fine Arts is so beautiful, I am going to miss seeing it daily. I have seen two weddings, and watched many a dog owner walk their dogs (or their children), but yell at them for being attracted to all the waterfowl. There are so many things I just don't understand. Today, for instance, I saw an owner give her dog a massive guilt trip for whimpering over the fowl. Massive, guilt trip - why? The people seem more used to me know, but it feels weird to have been called "conservative". That green long sleeve dress I have, awarded me that label. I guess the dress is more Barbara Bush than I thought. I am still going to wear it, in fact I'll go put it on right now.
I have been trying to deal with the Document kit's ethics question. It such a strange place, its hard to view like that. I saw some new exhbits today. People are always crowding certain exhibits so eventually you experience it, and it becomes a new thing. One of the exhibits I drew today, had no signage. Many don't actually. Its beyond being good or bad, I just feel like its a part of the place. I saw a film about the Exploratorium and its made it seem like it was WAY more magical then. I suppose that is a problem with having a charasmatic leader/founder, eventually they can't be there anymore. No one can fulfill someone's vision for them, so of course, the directions change. Everywhere I go the world echoes back to me some of my own complaints. (Development, health, bureaucracy). I left work, and immediately catch the bus cruising down chestnut. I really don't like that part of town so much. Its too expensive for me and has a baby Gap(TM). Blech! Everyday, I must traverse its main street. I wore the plaid dress with the riffles on the button line and puffy sleeves and was stared at all day. Someone even asked me if I yodel. I never would've guessed that in some instances Olympia is more tolerant then somewhere. Maybe its not more tolerant just more laid back - I don't know. Go figure. I feel like the dress code for my generation is so rigid. There aren't that many different groups with different styles. Its pretty limited when you look at it in comparison to how many writers there are or whatever. I really do feel like we are told what to wear and not wear in silent ways. Does anyone else feel that way? I bet Michaela does? I am glad that she (you) make/s such fantastic clothes, keeping things actually diverse. Everything that you can think up is true. On the bus ride home, I was surrounded by three early teens. It was scarring. First they are ganging up on the sporty girl (the other two are particularly fashion oriented un-sporty). Then they are calling her ghetto and making fun of her ringtones. Like was said so many times, it was incredible. It made me want to persue some level of vigilence in getting it out of my vocabulary. Then while sporty was on the phone, they were talking very loudly over her phone conversation by saying she was "such a typical asian teenager" and telling her how she really is, "crazy and ghetto". The entire time, I wanted to say to sporty to ditch those jerks and don't look back. Before becoming verbal, I thought that it would probably just make things worse. I contemplated the order in the chaos while struggling with what was before me. They were so loud, it was unavoidable. It made me revisit high school and/or middle school even. Shockingly bad, I cried a rusty nail shaped like broken dreams. I got off in Chinatown and went out looking for Dim Sum. There were three fires enginees in fron tof me when I got off the bus, but I didn't see any fire. Tonight was trash pickup or something because in Chinatown there were all these boxes of funked produce and garbage with people picking through them and some idling trucks. I stopped in a little store looking for some type of treat. Green tea cakes. So good. My new favorite thing, found on Washington and Grant. There is an Oriental market near my home, I hope that they sell them there too. Then I went into Great Oriental to eat. I got a bottle of sake and shrimp, chive cake dim sum and lotus paste dumpling. I was brought sesame sweet rice balls instead of the lotus, but didn't really know what to say about that - so didn't. Its very sweet, but the former was intensely good. When I left, the air was seemingly less cold, there were more people on the street, and I was into staring at all the storefronts while thinking about missed connections.

Comments

Popular Posts