self-archive part one

Mr. Wilson's Cabinet of Wonders: I really enjoyed this book. I want to visit this Museum very badly but don't know when I will ever find myself in Los Angeles. I went to the MJT's website and it reminds me of Edward Gorey. I saw something once that should've been an exhibit in the MJT or well I don't know, somewhere very special...
I was at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago (one of my favorite art museums) when I stepped downstairs to use the restroom. Where the month before there hadn't been an exhibit - this month there was a medium boat. Not a typical boat, it was long, slender and shallow. I believe the sides were painted green. The boat was extremely curious. It has all of these objects inside it and on the side (the boat was in the middle of the room) in display cases. The boat caught my interest sufficiently to make me read the descriptions and stories of the boat. The story was that a Coast Guard patrollijng Maine's coast saw this small boat in the distance. On approach the figure in the boat stood up, waved its hands in a "Go Away" motion. On the continued encroachment of the Coast Guard the person in the boat stood up and dove into the water never to resurface.
That was all the story. There was a web address for people who are interested in learning more.
The objects in the boat were a mix of currency beads from Phoenician times to a Howdy Doody lunchbox. There were also chickens on board that had adapted to drinking salt water. There were beautiful nets and bottles from Egypt, and all of these "pleasing to Vanessa's aesthetic" artifacts.
When I got home, I looked up the website, and it didn't exist. I thought it must've been a typo, so I googled all possible things I could think of, that might lead me to it. Nothing.
So I went back to the MCA, and it was gone. I asked someone at the desk about the exhibit, and they said it was a fake, intending to help promote a play's opening night. I didn't want to believe it, because it was so inspiring to me, somehow.
Somehow, I think that boat belongs in the MJT.

Comments

Popular Posts