self-archive part fifteen

One complaint about Green Apple Books is that they didn't have any Bill Mollison, David Holgrem, or David Berman. However, they did have Corso and David Byrne. Tonight I plan on visiting the other book stores that Andy recommended Adobe and Aardvark. For a long time, I quit buying books, but something about San Francisco is making me buy them again. At least the ones, I anticipate becoming textbooks for me. The best writing teacher can be a book you really enjoyed. Analyzing and picking apart how they created such a work, is one of the ways I spend my time. I haven't made it to any open mikes because I have been experiencing other things. I may never make it, who knows. If you can't tell I am experiencing a high level of detachment and no expectation. As long as I eat some Dim Sum, eat at the Curry House, and go to these bookstores, I am a happy happy woman. I saw someone wearing a shirt when I was at Boogaloo's for breakfast (go there! Eat the biscuits and vegetarian herb gravy - I'm from the south I know what I am talking about) I saw a shirt that said "Meat is murder" and then in smaller print below that "Tasty, Tasty Murder". I just thought I would share.
Yesterday, at the NISE conference I learned a thing or two about Nanotechnology. All I could think of was that nano robots and cowboy bebop (thanks to brent). It was interesting to see a scientific community discussing how it would get the word out to the greater society while successfully dealing with fear. I am scared. I don't trust vaccines, I don't trust jackhammers, I don't trust blowdryers, I don't trust the CDC. Is nanotechnology really going to help people get along, end the exploitation of nature, and help people be less vacuous? If not, then why bother?
At any rate, the conference was well attended and everyone is very nice. There are interesting implications for solar energy panels being coated with them, and being able to produce a crazy tenfold's more of energy. I guess that's good, but solar panels do put off low level radiation (like a microwave) so I even question that. I am thinking that if I asked Mr. Sun what he thought, drying things (fruits, hides, laundry) with sunlight and heat is probably the only acceptable harnessing of his awesome powers. Pure conjecture mind you.
I had to bring all of my junk (large backpacking bag and two shopping bags) with me to the conference, which looked very funny. This was due to the fact that I would be checking in to the Green Tortoise when done with the conference. My work ended I walked to a bus stop and got on the 30 which I have gotten to know very well. I arrived at the hostel, checked in , showered, and stowed my stuff. I went outside walked a few steps and went to the Beat Museum. I guess you might call it cliche, but yes, the beats made a significant impact on me as an artist and writer. The first time I read On the Road was 8th grade right after reading Catcher in the Rye. I remember liking Dharma Bums better than On the Road though, which i didn't know until the beat museum that Japhy Ryder is Gary Snyder. Why do all signs point to Gary Snyder? I am not sure, but am inspired to investigate. A year later I read Electric Kool- Aid Acid Test, because I was a page at a library and it had a neat cover. I passed it everyday and its spine had a swirly rainbow people type drawing. I picked it up one day, and it had a page bookmarked with a grocery receipt. The items on the receipt happened to be the only things I ate at that point in my life: a can of Chic peas, a Coke, and a bag of marshmallows. I know, gross. I took it as a sign, and was amazed when I started reading it that Neal Cassady was there too. So my long and flowy point is: The Beat Museum made sense for me to go. They used doors to partition the open space with a great affect. It was a very nice place. Not enough Corso! Corso! He actually grew up on the street, as opposed to being upper middle class and choosing the street. He is actually from NYC, rather than just migrating there to go to school (which he never could've afforded) and he was sassily talented. I bought only two things there: the two postcards that had images of Corso on them (my way of making a statement I guess). I felt like the museum was really reading dense, but perhaps it should be? But a really successful use of space. I learned something, but i had to stand and struggle with my short attention span. I am spoiled by MOAD and Exploratorium into not expecting to have to read a small novel to get information anymore. It was only $4, how economical. There was one mention of Bukowski, a picture and blurb. They mention that technically he is the most beat writer ever(I agree), but wasn't a part of the Beat movement. Ah, Bukowski. I actually went to city lights, looking for The Most Beatiful Woman in Town the one of his I haven't read, but the only copy they had was taped shut. I fled to Vesuvio's. [The next day in the bookstore, I realized there is a seperate Bukowski section, and thats why I couldn't find his books] I had two anchor steams, read the Guardian, drew a picture and cut into the street to try and make some money busking. I made a pithy 68 cents. Not that I played for very long (30 minutes and I got bored), I got the distinct impression that I had chosen the wrong part of town to do that in. Next time, Market street. I went looking for dinner, really craving the food I grew up on (italian) since i was there in the neighborhood. Everything was soooo expensive. Pasta is just flour, I am sure the restaurants didn't even use organic and it was $13 a plate type meals. Crazy. I went back to the GT and ate some peanut butter, carrots, and dried bananas. I thought I would check my email and while there ran into Amberle. It was so awesome to see her. It felt grounding. It has taken me a week or so, but I feel like I live here, and can't quite imagine going back to Olympia. I am, of course, coming back though. And am happy about it, but can't picture it. I have settled in nicely here. By the way, I recommend the Green Tortoise to anyone traveling through here (insert thumbs up emoticon). The computer screens are slightly off though, and the print is tiny. Tiny tiny print. While busking, I met a downtrodden fellow who asked me if I wanted to live with him in government housing. I declined. While at Vesuvio's I saw the world's oldest man come in for coffee. Satisfied with what I had seen for the day I slept. Long and hard dark dreams came to me, but I couldn't remember them this morning.

Comments

Popular Posts