ARIM update two

This week I have rearranged our house. Through Buy Nothing Olympia, I was able to get a bed on a frame!!!, new kitchen chairs, an entertainment center, children's dresser, clothes hangers, a bookshelf, standing lamp and two step stools. My patient and powerful husband moved everything around because I am too pregnant for that and now I get to pass on several pieces of incompetent furniture.

I had spent the previous day looking at images of people's homes and artists work and felt really inspired to do what I can with zero budget, rather than do nothing because es machs nichts! There are no before/after photos because honestly - neither would be that exciting. The before was just sad and the after is humble and still not there exactly. The next phase is to find some picture frames so that I can hang artwork. It seems like the first half of my self-directed artist residency is entirely preparing the space.

Lastly, I'm hoping to engage a friend of mine to do some photographic documentation of myself in this space. I never really took images of myself before, but now that I have transformed into a parent, I am rarely if ever present in family photographs - because I am the one shooting. I'd like some window into this time and hope I can convince my talented friend as I'm too shy to approach anyone else.

To share some of my recent inspiration:
Rachell Sumpter
Satisfying cover art is always magnetizing be it on a record, book or poster. I've been following her work since Dave Egger's What is the What?. I've often thought about doing cover art for my favorite books and records, something all my own. Dostoevsky would've been first; however, the covers coming out with the newest translations are incredible.

Something I'm learning from these design blogs is that having a room look orderly can really be as simple as having some baskets or bins there to gather clutter with. I'd like to try it and have added it to my thrift/buy nothing list.
One of the main drivers of economic turmoil in our lives is the cost of monthly rent. Yes, we like our neighborhood and it is the source of many idyllic moments in time. However, a mortgage would be roughly half the amount and we would own something larger than a washer/dryer for once in our adult lives. There's the credit score thing and many hurdles to be sure but when I look at Amanda Soule's website I think it could all be worth it. Her style is more Waldorf than mine, but I really enjoy her love of craft and slow living.


Comments

Popular Posts