An Artist Residency In Motherhood


Starting this week, I begin a self-directed residency program. Mostly I have been writing in preparation, contextualizing my place in time with artwork that I have yet to finish - and reflecting on how motherhood has shaped (or not) my creative potential.

To learn more about this residency or to view artists' documentation ARIM website.

There are several projects to date that I have yet to finalize, my focus on this residency will be pushing those goals towards completion in a supported space.


  1. The Jane Addams Graphic Novel project - I began this project in 2007 and have slowly stopped working on it over the past 4 years. Originally conceived as a way to share what I have learned about this little known American icon while working at the Jane Addams Hull House Museum during my time at University of Illinois Chicago. My mentor on this project is the former director of the Hull House Museum, Dr. Rima Lunin-Schultz. 
  2. This is Where I Walk in Dreams - A book of the Cascades. I began this because I missed the Pacific Northwest terribly after moving to Cleveland, OH. It is a meditation on place; a collage into and overlapping a thrifted book traveling through memory. In book form, it no longer sings and I have plans to translate the most successful pages into oil paintings.
  3. Chicago poems - I have always intended to publish a follow up to my 2012 chapbook "Daughter of Autumn". Mining old notebooks I've already gathered the choicest selections and have begun editing. I'd like to select illustrations to include and find a publisher.
  4. Photography Monograph book - As a photo major in college, I churned out work day and night that would look beautifully printed in an art folio. I would have to pick a self-publisher and reprint the catalog. I do live near an incredible darkroom and have access to the internet. Publishing costs and time are my primary obstacles.


Firstly, I am reorganizing my studio to capture this fresh energy and revitalize my space/practice and I will be documenting the process here if you are interested in following.

Comments

Popular Posts