ARIM update one

Sometimes after I finish reading the news, I can get really down about everything. I tend to need to read something light-hearted if its been a rough news day. Since the internet is such a huge time suck, I thought I would at least acknowledge it alternately as an obstacle to creativity and tool, often a source of inspiration.
Exhibit A: Cup of Jo





Exhibit B: Bleubird blog


Exhibit C: Mother Magazine



Although they are relaxing in one aspect (harkening back to poolsides of my youth), they can also be deeply disturbing - where is the middle ground? Can you, dear reader,  direct me to better content?

When I read articles about how they go on great married people dates to new restaurants; gush about their favorite make-up; get all their foods through Blue Apron or Nature box; decorate on a budget with a "shoestring" amount that is more than I spend for a family of three on food quarterly...well I feel alien. I'd rather hear about if they have contingent plans for natural disasters, how they navigate being an individual within a family or if it ever bothers them that they live so well in a world so mad?

You might look at our kids' pictures and think we have a lot in common - we're married white mothers in our 30's with liberal art degrees who love a good book and great design. When I read the comments I especially feel like I am peeking in on a privileged and urban otherworld that I would not normally see. Is it just escapism on my part? Economically, I'm aware of the paradox of my life. I have a degree, a husband who works full-time, a house we rent in a neighborhood we like, a good part time job. Yes, we live paycheck to paycheck, have student loan debts we aren't even touching and are at the 133% of federal poverty guideline but in the grand scheme of things we are very fortunate and even privileged.

Sometimes I see articles that distill great artists to a collection of items you can buy at Target, and I realize I cannot read them anymore (prime example). I feel frustrated that they spend so much time promoting products and focusing on sponsored content. Mostly, I feel quietly that the economic rift between us is what keeps me from being a more productive artist. I can't afford a vacation, nanny or housecleaner let alone preschool for my son. The time I have to work on projects is small and comes in doses late at night that leave me exhausted in the morning or I have to trade screen time for it with my little one.

The milieu of lectures, galleries and films are gone but not forgotten. Is being creative a luxury?

It occurred to me in preparing for this residency that I have no art on my walls. No stimulating things to look at, and if I want them I'm going to have to make them for myself. This is an emerging project that I hope will have a harmonious effect on my home and residency. Time to wrap up loose ends (sew curtains, paint a canvas for the bare living room wall) and see if these other ladies know what their talking about. Will I be more productive? We shall see.

All photos in this post are taken directly from the linked blogs.

Comments

Popular Posts