Article on Parenting in the Creative Community:

Temporary Art Review: Who Cares for Whom? Parenting in the Creative Community is an article I came across last night but am just getting to read now. During my residency, I've been thinking about many of the issues and questions this addresses.


It recommends going public as a parent which I think is a wonderful idea. I know that readership of my blog went down when I started posting images of my family instead of whatever creative work I had been able to put together that day. I understand - the audience is not necessarily the same and I became far less prolific. I don't necessarily find every artist who makes work I like personally interesting - so I am not offended.

From what I know about psychology, it is ridiculously unhealthy to compartmentalize everything. Defining oneself in the scope of a single pursuit seems to come more naturally to others, while I have always hoped I wouldn't earn the label "jill of all trades, master of none". We all have many roles in our life but not all of them are comfortable to explore or express.  Furthermore, contemporary culture follows the dictates of the market, saying it is better to be turning ourselves into a brand that stands for one thing so we can "truly stand out". How can this not be a massive problem psychologically for us as individuals and for our society as a whole?

Once at a workshop for artists to help them think more like an entrepreneur, I was told I had to pick one medium. I couldn't possibly get anywhere painting, taking photographs and drawing. It occurred to me then that western society has become about aping corporate culture, and I don't want to participate in that. Of course, I am not a successful artist but I also don't have to think about business cards, "my brand" or any of that other nonsense. For the 10 years, I did cover those subjects and regularly exhibited my work I'm certain I put way more money in than I ever got out. At the time, I was doing it for the potential review or nod from esteemed gallery owners that might help me transition to the next tier of artistry but the entire time I could feel the poisoning effects of money.

I love making art. I love looking at art. Good design is like an eye massage and no one can take that away from me.

Comments

Popular Posts