Garbage Pail Kids 21.0

I had a dream last night, that a subset of youth culture ganged up and formed one giant crew that called themselves the Garbage Pail Kids, after the 80's trading cards that came during my time but much after theirs. These kids were what was 10 years ago called crust punks, wearing hoodies, bandanas and dumpster diving for their food. I have learned so much from my time in that scene, but this dream reality was something much different more organized. They ran the trash in town and each "owned" blocks in the sense that they were caretakers for city district sections. They tagged their sections with their adopted Garbage Pail Kids character of choice to protect their identity as it was constantly being threatened by the police for making good use of garbage. Much more than dumpster diving it was a formalized network to sort through that which people throw away to find what should be recycled, repurposed, or sold. And they made great money at it that they didn't spend on rent, utilities or consumerism in general. This is why they were being targeted. They all lived in secret squats and had music shows every night and skill shares. I felt like we were in NYC, but it could've been any city. When I awoke it turned out that I had been talking in my sleep which rarely happens. It seemed so complex and real. It reminded me of how people sort through landfills in developing countries for their income.

Comments

Popular Posts